Friday, October 14, 2011

Incorporating Video Games into the Classroom

      So I was searching the internet for more articles about using Video Games in the classroom and I stumbled across an article about using games that are based on sound pedagogy in the classroom. The article was very interesting because it brought up a lot of great points. For example, 3-D images and realms found in video games  can offer a huge extension to the classroom. Also, video games help keep children engaged in the lesson at hand.
    I really want to talk about the extension of the classroom through video games because I recently used a video game in my classroom to help students understand the content knowledge about Greece. I used a game called Rome: Total War "Alexander the Great Expansion" to help a discussion on Greek battle tactics during the era of Alexander the Great. Through the game, I was able to recreate famous battles of Alexander the Great and have the kids help me create the battles too! Needless to say, the kids went wild over the lesson and were engaged in content. The game helped me recreate a battle from a few thousand years ago and display it on my SMART board like a move. Not only could the children learn about the famous battle tactics of ancient Greece, but they could see the landscape and geography of Greece and the Persian battle fronts. Also, the children were able to taste the culture of ancient Greece by seeing what the soldiers looked like compared to the Persian Army.
     Video games are important for the classroom and I believe should be used more. It brings students from the classroom into the content that you are trying to teach.
The html for the article is http://www.educause.edu/EDUCAUSE+Quarterly/EDUCAUSEQuarterlyMagazineVolum/SeriousGamesIncorporatingVideo/157412

3 comments:

  1. Kevin,

    That is such a cool way to liven up a history lesson. In school that was always my least favorite subject, but you are finding great ways to get the kids excited to learn, and that is exactly what needs to be done!

    How do the parents react to the use of video games in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is a great topic. from my experience as geography and history teacher I found it very difficult for my student to remember the lessons of ancient battle as well as lessons about countries location and boarders .However ,with this great tool history and geography lesson will be extremely easy to remember and enjoyable to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to implement technology into the classroom. This tool allows students to relate educational concepts to their world of digital gaming.

    I was going to ask how the parents feel as well? I would think they would welcome this in the classroom, as long as concepts are being learned.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete