Friday, September 16, 2011

Learning by playing video games

I read an interesting article about a year ago in the New York Times online about a teacher who designed a video game with his middle school students to teach about enemy formations. After I read the article, my eyes opened up to new possibilities. For one, I love video games and I would proudly consider myself a gamer. Two, I love education and helping students grow. Before this article, I never thought to put the two together to form a fun classroom experience for the students.
     I currently teach 6th grade world history and I am working on a project to use a video game in the classroom. My students will be covering ancient Rome in a few weeks, so I started working with the game "Rome:Total War" in order to create reenactments of famous battles. I pitched the idea to my students and they are excited. The article that changed my perception can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/19/magazine/19video-t.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment